Residence Permit for Foreign Students
YİMER Communication Center for Foreigners: 157
You can call this line 24/7 to obtain information about the residence and visa processes for foreign students.
STUDENT RESIDENCE PERMIT
As per the protocol signed on 27.10.2016 between the Council of Higher Education and Directorate General of Migration Management, students registered in associate, undergraduate, master’s, and PhD degree programs (including their spouse and children) and exchange program students who travel to Turkey for the purpose of receiving higher education are required for their first application for residence permit to make an appointment at https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr/Ikamet/Basvuru/IlkBasvuru and submit all the required documents with their application form to the Student Affairs Department of our University. As per the same protocol, academic staff members who have a permit to work in the university (including their spouse and children) are to submit their documents for first residence permit application to our Personnel Department. Application files will be collected by these departments and then collectively submitted to the Directorate General of Migration Management. Residence permit cards to be issued will be collectively sent to our University. Therefore, students are kindly asked to write the address of our University instead of their own addresses during application so that the cards will not get lost in postal mail and can be processed collectively.
- Applications for residence permit should be made within the visa period and those with conditional entry permit should apply within 10 days.
- Students who have enrolled in a Turkish, English, Arabic or any other foreign language course without registering in any University program may obtain a “Short Term Residence Permit” covering the course duration. They can only apply for a “Student Residence Permit” after they register in the University and are entitled to receive a student certificate.
- Foreign university students who are to receive preparatory education in English, Arabic or any other foreign language as required by the department they register will be issued a student residence permit for 1 year at first and once they complete preparatory education, they may be issued a student residence permit covering the entire period of their studies in their departments.
- For student residence permit, the student’s passport expiry date, date of graduation as indicated in the student certificate, and insurance expiry date are noted. If the student signs a declaration form indicating that s/he will apply to the Social Security Institution (SGK) within 3 months following the date of registration in the University, then the student can be issued a residence permit covering the entire study period; otherwise, the duration of the private health insurance policy will be taken into account for the student residence permit.
- For foreigners who are to receive associate, undergraduate, master’s or PhD education in a higher education institution in Turkey, student permit can be issued to cover the entire study period. For students who fail to graduate within their regular period of study, duration of student permits may be extended for periods of one year at maximum, not to exceed the maximum period of study. Residence permits for graduating students expire on their date of graduation and they need to make a new appointment within 10 days in accordance with their purpose of stay. This ten-day term starts as of the date of graduation.
- Syrian students under temporary protection are required to be present in person at the appointment venue on the said date.
(Important note: Students are obliged to complete all their documents and submit them to the Department of Student Affairs within 30 days following the date they made the e-residence appointment. Students who fail to submit their documents within this time frame will have to make a new appointment and carry out all the procedures on their own.)
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED FOR FIRST-TIME STUDENT RESIDENCE APPLICATION
- APPLICATION FORM
Students are to visit the web page https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr/Ikamet/Basvuru/IlkBasvuru and click I WOULD LIKE TO LODGE A NEW APPLICATION to make an appointment; then complete all the information and submit a printed copy of the application form to the Office of the Student Affairs Department along with the other required documents. Students are obliged to complete all their documents and submit them to the Department of Student Affairs within 30 days following the date they made the e-residence appointment. Students who fail to submit their documents within this time frame will have to make a new appointment and carry out all the procedures on their own.
Students are required to lodge their student residence permit applications before the expiry of their visa duration or visa exemption period. Those who enter Turkey with a Residence Permit Conditional Entry Information Form are to fill in the residence permit application form at e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr within 10 days following their entry. )
- STUDENT CERTIFICATE (IN TURKISH, STAMPED AND SIGNED)
- ADDRESS DECLARATION (A written document showing address info – rental house, dormitory, hostel, etc.)
(Important note: For the first-time residence permit applications made through e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr, the address section must be filled with the University address, not with the person’s own address since the residence permit cards will be sent to our University. Otherwise, residence permit cards might get lost in the mail. (University address: Dumlupınar Mahallesi, D-100 Karayolu No:98, 34000 Kadıköy/İstanbul)
- RECEIPT OF RESIDENCE PERMIT CARD FEE (will be paid to any Tax Office. The fee for 2019 is 89 TL)
- 4 (FOUR) PHOTOS (must be biometric photos taken in the last six months with a white background)
- PASSPORT COPY (The applicant must have a passport or a passport substitute document with a minimum validity of 60 days longer than the demanded residence permit duration. In addition to a copy of the first two pages of the passport, copies of the pages showing the visa and the last entry stamps are also among the required documents to be submitted.)
- HEALTH INSURANCE - SGK DECLARATION (To obtain residence permit, a foreign nationals should have health insurance that covers their entire period of stay. For student residence permits, the student’s passport expiry date, date of graduation as indicated in the student certificate, and insurance expiry date are noted. If the student signs a declaration form indicating that s/he will apply to the Social Security Institution (SGK) within 3 months following the date of registration in the University, then the student can be issued a residence permit covering the entire study period; otherwise, the duration of the private health insurance policy will be taken into account for the student residence permit.
- IF THE STUDENT IS UNDER THE AGE OF 18:
* Students entering with visa will not need to submit their birth certificates, letter of consent, and commitment letter.
* For those entering without a visa:
1) Letter of Consent: Students must present a letter of consent issued by the relevant authorities in their country stating that their parents give them permission to study and live in Turkey. (for example, they should write: I give permission to my son/daughter to study in X University) However, if their parents legally reside in Turkey, then this document is not required.
2) Birth Certificate: A document required from foreigners if their parents cannot be identified from a valid ID card/passport.
Note: The letter of consent and birth certificate issued by the authorities of a country should be with apostille if the concerned country is a party to an apostille agreement (or these documents need to be approved by the consulate of the relevant country in Turkey, plus the district governor).